The inspiration for this pizza comes from my one and only visit to Delfina Pizza. I don’t eat a lot of restaurant pizza, mostly because, even though I LOVE pizza, I’m really picky about it. That’s why I usually opt to make my own. But when a celebratory work event dictates your lunch will be pizza, you may as well go all in and try what the restaurant has to offer. Now, this is by no means a restaurant review of Delfina, but suffice it to say I highly recommend it and hope to return again. If anything, for the broccoli rabe pizza…
Like I said, I much prefer to make my pizza at home. The good news is that Delfina’s pizza has that homemade quality about it, so it’s not too hard to replicate. So, this is my twist on their broccoli rabe pizza.
A Note about the Recipe: To get the broccoli the right texture and to make sure the garlic is completely cooked through, I highly recommend pre-cooking both those items in a pan over the stovetop prior to adding them to the pizza.
I’m including this picture so you can see how much I cooked the broccoli prior to cooking the pizza. The stems should still have a bit of a crunch factor to them, while the heads will look a tad soggy. This will result in a thoroughly cooked stem and a nicely charred head once the pizza is done baking.
Broccoli Rabe Pizza
- Premade pizza dough (or 1/5 of my Easy Pizza Dough )
- 5 stalks of broccoli rabe or broccolini (sliced lenthwise)
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 ounce parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 ounce fresh mozzarella, broken into chunks
- 32 grams black olives (about 10 olives), sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 500F
- Prepare pizza dough by spreading out into an 8-inch circle.
- Lightly spray a baking tray with olive oil and place the dough on prepared tray. Set aside.
- Preheat a small skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat with olive oil spray.
- Sauté finely diced garlic, adding a good pinch of salt, in skillet until golden brown (3 - 5 minutes). Remove from heat. Place cooked garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- Reheat the same skillet, coating with more spray if needed.
- Sauté broccoli, again adding a good pinch of salt, until the heads are cooked through and stems just turning soft (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and place broccoli on a clean plate to cool.
- On the prepared pizza dough, coat the dough with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, spreading evenly.
- Add half of the grated parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle half of the cooked garlic.
- Evenly distribute the broccoli on the dough.
- Add the sliced black olives.
- Sprinkle the remaining cooked garlic and grated cheese on top.
- Lastly, evenly distribute the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 500F for about 13 minutes, or until crust is firm and toppings cooked through.
Make your own pizza dough! See my Easy Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe.
3 Comments on Broccoli Rabe Pizza