Any other stress-bakers out there? Suffice it to say I’ve been overwhelmingly busy these past few months with very little time to slow down and enjoy basic hobbies. Now that things have slowed down (at least for the moment), something I’m picking back up is baking.
Fun fact: When I started this website, I really thought it was going to be all about food. Wine was just a side-act. Now it is (without any remorse) the shining star of this one-man show.
But for fun and giggles, I’d like to post my latest two bakes. One a super-healthy vegan cookie thing. The other, good old fashioned chocolate chip cookies alla mamma used to make. So please, enjoy. (Also, either pairs well with a super-dry champers. 🥂)
Healthy Vegan Cookie Things
- 1 Over-ripe banana
- 1/3 cup Apple Sauce (no sugar added)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (I used 50% less sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray two baking sheets with oil. In a mixing bowl, mash banana and mix with applesauce, sugar and vanilla. Mix very well by hand. Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, and mix until just moist.
- Add oatmeal and cranberries. Stir until combined. (If dough is excessively wet, add one or two extra tablespoons flour.)
- Using a table spoon, spoon out mixture in little balls, leaving about 2 inches of space in between. Flatten with the back of the spoon. (Definitely do not leave them in ball-shape). Bake until lightly browned. (It took me about 15 to 18 minutes).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. You can also freeze these in a freezer-safe bag or tuperware.
Old Fashion Chocolate Chip Cookies
- stand mixer
- 1 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter (aka: 1 stick)
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375°F. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Add the egg and continue beating.
- Slowly add in flour. Mix until fully combined.
- Switch to the paddle attachment and stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon, drop dough onto un-greased baking sheets
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheet for two minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely.